Saturday, July 4, 2009

Someone's in trouble...


Young Jack has been doing extremely well getting to know how to use his new communication book that the fantastic speech therapists at CPEC have given to us. We started out with a very simple version which Craig is holding in this picture and we now have one that has a lot more words and options but a lot more challenging to use - just ask Craig and I! And if it's challenging for us, you can only imagine what it's like for Jack. However I've learnt more and more about our little munchkin this year and one of the things that blows me away is just how much he understands. It's almost scary sometimes! However he's started to play up a little excessively during our sessions at CPEC because he doesn't want to do the physical work or for whatever reason. Anyhow, the therapists always encourage him to use his book to tell us what the problem is or what he wants to say. This particular day that the photo above was taken, it was the first day Jack was 'banished' from the room by the head physio therapist! He got quite upset during an activity, wouldn't use his book to say why and then proceeded to scream at the top of his lungs. So Lyn told him that he was being too noisy and that if he didn't stop, then she'd take him out of the room and his Mum would stay and help someone else. He continued to scream and so she took him out of the room. (I felt so much like I had the naughty child in the class!) I could hear him crying next door as I did start to help another mum however after about 5 minutes, she brought him back and he did the next activity as good as gold!!!!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't believe it!!! So here is Dad, telling Jack with his book that screaming in class is 'bad/naughty' and he needs to try harder or use his book to say what's wrong. The head speech therapist has told me that she thinks he's very smart, judging by the amount of speech he understands. His response time to requests are normally very quick, unless he wants to think about it. He still gets upset during sessions which we're going to continue to work on however we keep telling him, he has to use his words so we can help him. So one of the last sessions he had, with the help of the speech therapists he told me that 'he was angry & grumpy at me because I put his arm wraps on and put him on his tummy'.
Good on ya buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment